We were introduced to organic serviceberries a few years ago. We had never heard of the serviceberry, nor did we ever see one. To our surprise, we have around 15 of these wonderful trees on our cabin property. The very first time we tried serviceberries, our entire family was hooked. They are much like a blueberry, but smaller. They grow on nice big trees and are also available to purchase as ornamental bushes. The organic nursery that we purchase all of our organic fruit trees, bushes, strawberries, etc grows them and sells them.
If you have the chance to try a serviceberry, you will be so amazed at the flavor this little berry packs and will be forever hooked on them.
There are not that many recipes out there for organic serviceberries, so when we decided we were going to make a serviceberry crisp, we couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you!
Organic Serviceberry Crisp
- 4 C Organic Serviceberries
- 4 TBSP Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1 C Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 C Organic Rolled Oats
- 3/4 C Organic Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 C Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a large bowl, toss together the serviceberries and evaporated can juice; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Cut in coconut oil until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture in the bottom of your glass pie dish.
- Cover the crumbly mixture with berries.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the crumbly mixture over the berries.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden.
- Serve with Organic Raw Whipped Cream or Organic Raw Ice Cream.
We hope you will go hunting for these awesome little organic berries! If you do decide to give them a try, please leave us a comment on our Facebook page letting us know how your family liked this recipe: www.facebook.com/ourorganichome
To receive our Organic Recipes and Organic Living Tips, sign up for our newsletter:
With love from our family to yours,
Rod and Maria Wagner
**Our Organic Home does not claim to be medical professionals; statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is not meant to be an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. When you have specific questions about a medical matter you must consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. You should not delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment as a result of reading any information in this website.