If you have ever looked at organic foods, you’ve probably realized that the price is higher than conventional foods. It doesn’t seem right that eating food the way God intended us to is higher in price than the chemical-laden conventional foods. We are here to tell you that you can eat organic food on a budget.
The more organic foods fill up the grocery store shelves, the more budget-friendly they become. We have found that many brands now offer coupons for their products. It will take you some extra time to look up organic brands on the computer and print coupons, but we promise, it is well worth it when you are standing in the checkout lane.
The first way to save on organic foods is to clip coupons! These are some of the brands that offer coupons and their websites.
- Earthbound Farm Produce – ebfarm.com
- Stonyfield Yogurt – stonyfield.com
- Organic Valley – organicvalley.com
- Rumiano Cheese – rumianocheese.com
- Applegate Farms – applegate.com
- Melt Organic – meltorganic.com
- Amy’s – amys.com
- Annie’s – annies.com
- Simply Organic – simplyorganic.com
These are just to name a few, like we said, you can get coupons for almost all organic food brands.
Another great way to save on your organic foods is through your grocery store. Most grocery stores offer online coupons or rewards to use on your organic items. Most stores will allow you to stack their store coupon with one manufacturer coupon. Here are a few grocery stores that offer coupons.
- Meijer Mperks – mperks.meijer.com
- Target – target.com (coupons) & Cartwheel
- Whole Foods – wholefoods.com
- Trader Joe’s – traderjoes.com
- Kroger – kroger.com
There are websites that offer links to online coupons to use at any grocery store that takes coupons.
- Organic deals – organicdeals.com
- Common Kindness – commonkindness.com
- Mambo Sprouts – mambosprouts.com
We buy a lot of our organic foods online. Buying online can save you a lot of money. Almost all brands are offered online, even those that are refrigerated items. The three best sites that offer discounts are: Beyond Organic, Amazon and Vitacost.
Amazon – Offers discounts for members that have a Prime Membership and Subscribe and Save. These two offers will save you 5-15% off your items and free shipping. Bulk items and food packs are offered on Amazon, you can buy foods in packs of 6,8, 10, and 12.
Vitacost – Offers free shipping and up to a 15% discount.
Beyond Organic – Offers a 20% discount to members.
You can also join your favorite brands on social media like Facebook and Twitter for special coupons and deals.
Buying organic items on a budget starts at home. It takes us about 2-3 hours a week to plan for our shopping trips.
- Plan ahead! Be sure to make yourself a list and also check all the coupon websites and store websites.
- Making your own whole, organic foods will save you a lot of money as well. Do not buy the processed foods, instead use your coupons for whole organic foods and make everything at home. You will be amazed at how much money you save making all of your own food.
- Make your own household cleaning items. You can do this with white vinegar and essential oils. You can save 24% off of your essential oils here – www.youngliving.org/rodmariawagner Visit our blog on cleaning with essential oils – https://wagnerswellnessoilers.com/2014/02/17/cleaning-with-young-living-essential-oils/
- Make your own organic personal care products. You can save a lot of money by making your own personal care items. You can make toothpaste, moisturizers, body lotions, deodorant, and the list goes on. Visit our blog on making some of these items. https://wagnerswellnessoilers.com/2014/02/15/home-spa-day-with-homemade-organic-coconut-oil-recipes/
- Grow your own organic garden. You can save a lot of money by canning and freezing the organic foods that you harvest.
- Buy frozen organic fruits and veggies instead of canned foods. Frozen foods are more economical. Be careful when buying canned organic foods, be sure to look for BPA free linings in the cans.
- Freeze items that you have purchased on sale and with coupons like milk, butter, cheese, cream, and meat. This will save you a lot of money.
- Freeze your leftovers. Do not dispose of your leftover foods, freeze them for another dinner.
- Buy foods at your local farmers market when in season. Make sure that the farmers market foods being offered are organic and free-range.
- Buy in bulk. This is very important. You can save money by buying organic foods that are on sale in bulk. Make sure that you properly package your bulk items when you arrive at home to keep them fresh.
- Buy a club membership. Costco offers the most organic food options, but Sam’s Club has them from time to time as well.
- Join a Co-op. Co-ops offer foods in bulk and at cheaper rate. Visit LocalHarvest.org to find a local co-op to you.
- Travel with your foods. When leaving the home always pack your organic drinks and foods, this will save you spending money at a drive-thru. Pack filtered water, juice, squeezable yogurts, trail mix, crackers, and sandwiches. You can plan ahead and prepare these foods ahead of time.
We hope that we have helped you to save money when it comes to buying organic. Even if you are just starting out, you can buy organic on a budget!
With love from our family to yours,
Rod and Maria Wagner