Good morning Friends! Happy Tuesday! We hope you are having a wonderful morning! We’re enjoying our favorite organic coffee on this cold, rainy morning!
We follow an all organic, whole food diet which does not contain very many sweets. We do however splurge on our birthday’s. What is a birthday if you can’t enjoy a little homemade organic birthday cake and homemade organic ice cream?!
We hope you will enjoy our recipe as much as our family does!
Organic German Chocolate Cake
* 4 oz Organic Homemade German Chocolate (12 TBSP Organic cocoa powder, 16 tsp organic sugar, 4 TBSP Organic raw butter)
* 1/2 C Warm filtered water
* 4 Organic Eggs, seperated
* 2 C Organic flour (We soak, sprout, and grind our own organic wheat berries)
* 1 tsp Organic baking soda
* 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
* 1 C organic raw butter
* 1 3/4 C Organic sugar
* 1 tsp Organic Vanilla
* 1 C Organic buttermilk (You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tsp of organic vinegar to 1 C of Raw organic milk)
* Heat Oven to 350*
* Cover the bottoms of 3 round cake pans with Parchment paper, grease the sides of the cake pans with a little organic raw butter
* Combine Homemade Organic German chocolate ingredients and stir well (it will have a paste like consistency), add 1/2 C of warm water and stir well; Set aside.
* Separate organic eggs – beat egg whites with mixer on high until stiff peaks form; set aside
* Mix organic flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl; set aside
* Beat organic butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in German chocolate and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
* Add egg whites; stir gently until well blended. Pour cake batter into prepared pans.
* Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans. Cool cakes on wire racks. Spread Organic Coconut-Pecan Filling between layers and on top of cake.
Organic Coconut-Pecan Filling
* 4 egg yolks
*12 oz Organic Homemade Evaporated Milk (3 C of Organic Raw Milk)
* 1 1/2 tsp Organic Vanilla
* 1 1/4 C Organic Sugar
* 3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) Organic Raw butter
* 7 oz Organic, unsweetened coconut
* 11/2 C Organic Raw Chopped Pecans
* Make your homemade Organic Evaporated Milk – Pour 3 C of Organic raw milk into a heavy pot. Make a mental note of where the marking is for 3 C of milk. The goal is to reduce the milk by 60% in order to produce a very creamy and concentrated result. Bring milk to a boil; stirring constantly with a wooden spoon – scrape off any sticky bits that may be on the bottom of the pan. Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat down to simmer. At this point, the milk doesn’t need to be stirred constantly; still, you should give it a stir about every 8 minutes. Your biggest concern at this juncture is to make sure the milk doesn’t burn or boil over. The heat should remain low and the milk steaming not boiling. As the water content decreases, the volume will start to lessen and the milk will become thicker, creamier, and more concentrated. Once the milk level reaches the 1 1/2-cup point which you have previously marked on the side of the pot, it’s done. The finished product is then taken off the heat to be strained. Strain milk and add to your saucepan to make your frosting.
* Beat egg yolks, milk, and vanilla in large saucepan with whisk until blended well.
* Add sugar and butter, cook on medium heat for 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
* Add coconut and nuts; mix well. Cool.
* Frost between layers of your cake and the top of the cake
* Garnish with Organic Raw Pecans
We hope you will have as much fun as we did making our favorite, once a year Organic German Chocolate Cake! One more piece of advice, chew slowly to savor this delicious cake! Please leave us a comment on our Facebook page letting us know how you liked it: www.facebook.com/ourorganichome
To receive our Organic Recipes and Organic Living Tips, sign up for our newsletter: