After a very long and extremely cold winter, Spring and the warm sun have finally arrived! Sunscreen is a must if you are going to be outside in the sun, no matter what the temperature reads.
Vitamin D comes naturally from the sun and is very important to the human body. However, being out in the sun without sunscreen will damage the skin and undo the benefits that you just received! You can still get your healthy dose of vitamin D while wearing sunscreen.
There are great organic sunscreens on the market and we have and do use some of them. But, instead of spending the extra money on store bought sunscreens, we enjoy making our own out of ingredients that we keep in our home.
You will find that making your own homemade organic sunscreen doesn’t take much time at all and offers a great SPF to protect your family.
- 1/2 C Organic Sweet Almond Oil (natural SPF 5)
- 1/4 C Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil (natural SPF 4)
- 1/4 C Organic Beeswax (natural SPF 15)
- 50 Drops or 1 tsp of Red Raspberry Seeds Oil (natural SPF 28-50)
- 2 TBSP Organic Raw Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- 10 Drops Carrot Seed Essential Oil (natural SPF 30-40)
- 25 Drops Myrrh Essential Oil (natural SPF 20)
- 10 Drops Lavender Essential Oil (natural SPF 7)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, place shea butter and organic beeswax pastelles in pan, stirring until it has melted. Remove pan from heat.
- In a KitchenAid (or other mixer) with the whisk attachment, place the coconut oil in bowl (coconut oil must be in solid form, if coconut oil is melted, place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until solid) and whisk on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add sweet almond oil and raspberry oil to mixing bowl and whisk on high for 1 minute.
- Add all essential oils to mixing bowl and whisk on high for 30 seconds.
- Place mixture into a glass jar with a secure lid and store in a cool place. Small mason jars (pint size) are great for this (it will not pump well in a lotion pump).
- Use as you would regular sunscreen.
- This sunscreen is best if used within six months.
Additional Usage Info:
This sunscreen is somewhat, but not completely, waterproof and will need to be reapplied after sweating or swimming.
**We advise only using Young Living Essential Oils**
We hope you will love our sunscreen recipe! Please let us know how it works for you by leaving us a comment on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/ourorganichome
You can purchase your Young Living Essential Oils here: www.youngliving.org/rodmariawagner
To receive our Organic Recipes and Organic Living Tips, sign up for our newsletter:
With love from our family to yours,
Rod and Maria Wagner
**Our Organic Home does not claim to be medical professionals; statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is not meant to be an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. When you have specific questions about a medical matter you must consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. You should not delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment as a result of reading any information in this website.