Why GMO’s Need To Be Avoided!
Good Morning Friends! Today, we would like to talk about avoiding GMO’s. The subject of GMO’s is very near and dear to our heart. Rod and I were both raised in families that were farmers. While growing up, we witnessed farming the way God intended it to be. Our families worked from sun up to sun down working their ground, sowing seeds, weeding the fields by hand, and raising their animals humanely. We were both taught the ways of the land and how important it is to be hard workers to reap the rewards at the end of the day.
While their is an age gap between the two of us, we were both raised up the same way. We still hold those ways near to our heart, and we practice those ways in our own family. Our daughters love going out to the garden with us. They help work the ground (pulling weeds and loading their buckets with dirt) and love helping us plant the seeds and seedlings. We have a large garden that we grow many fruits and vegetables in. We have peach, apple, and cherry trees. We grow blueberries, raspberries, and grapes. Walking around our yard in the summer time is like going to eat at a smorgasbord. When it comes time to harvest, our daughters love to see what they helped to grow. The smile on their faces and excitement to pick and eat what w e have grown makes all the work worthwhile!
Farming the way we know it started to change over to chemicals in the 1970’s. The first gene splicing took place in 1972. By 1983, Monsanto figured out with the help of two agriculture scientists that they could take out harmful genes from plasmids and introduce the desired gene and get the plasmid into the plant cell where it would introduce the gene into the nucleus of the plant itself. This opened the floodgates for genetic engineering and the introduction to Round-Up. GMO’s took over nearly 92% of the soybeans planted in the U.S. in 2008 according to the USDA. Monsanto continues to drive GMO’s today!
We have studied GMO’s and the effects on our bodies in great detail. We have taken a vow to spread the word about GMO’s not only destroying human life, but animals, and the land as well. We feel very strongly about growing our food the way God intended us to, not the way of greed and mankind. With that said, here are our top 10 reasons to stay away from GMO’s.
- Health Harms. GMO’s are grown with toxic chemicals. Pesticide residues are known to be harmful to human health. Numerous health problems increased after the introduction of GMO’s. Allergies, digestive problems, disorders such as Autism, and reproductive disorders from 7% to 13% in just 9 years.
- GMO crops require a large amount of chemicals, which are harmful to not only the soil that the crops are grown in, but the soil surrounding the crops as well.
- GMO’s contaminate our organic farms and local food systems.
- GMO’s lead to beneficial insects such as the honey bee being harmed. Honey bees are losing existence due to the chemicals that are being sprayed on the plants. GMO’s have contributed to the massive bee die-off over the last four years.
- GMO’s are promoting a growing epidemic of “superweeds”. These weeds have grown a resistance to “glyphosate” a chemical used on GM crops. Stronger chemicals are being used to now control the weeds.
- Moral and Ethical Concerns. The mutation of genes has spread over to the health of animals. Animals ingesting GMO grown feed, mostly maize, have been subjected to severe organ failure.
- GMO’s do not increase yield production, they actually work against feeding the world!
- GMO’s lead to corporate control over seeds and food.
- GMO farming has resulted in a loss of family farming and an increase of industrial farming.
- Last but not least, GMO’s are not the way of God. God created our food and instructed us in how to grow it!
Make sure you are seeking out organic foods and organic farming practices. If we continue to come together, we will win the fight against GMO’s.
With love from our family to yours,
Rod and Maria Wagner