Good afternoon friends! We hope you’re having a wonderful Sunday afternoon! We have been asked what our recipe and method is for making our homemade sprouted organic bread. So, we decided to dedicate today’s blog to our bread!
We start by soaking and sprouting our organic soft white wheat berries.
- We do this by adding 1 cup of organic wheat berries to 4 cups of filtered water. For our homemade organic bread recipe, it takes 7 cups of flour, so we will soak 8 cups of organic wheat berries; dividing the berries into two jars.
- We use gallon size jars to soak and sprout them with old pantyhose used as the top. Soak the wheat berries overnight. Drain all of the water off the wheat.
- Now invert the jar over a bowl so that any residual water can drain from the berries. After 12 hours of draining, rinse and drain again.
- Repeat, rinsing and draining 2 to 3 times daily for 2 to 3 days. Once little tails begin to form from the seed, sprouting is complete.
- Drain the sprouts completely.
- To make sprouted wheat flour, dry the wheat in a dehydrator or oven at 195* degrees and grind into flour.
Now that you have soaked, sprouted, and ground your organic wheat berries into flour, you are ready to make your bread!
- 1/3 cup unsalted grassfed organic butter
- 2 1/2 cups warm filtered water (not above 120°F)
- 7 cups freshly ground organic wheat, divided
- 1/3 cup organic raw honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active-dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Pink Himalayan pink salt
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- In a large bowl stir melted butter, warm water, 3 cups flour, honey and yeast.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set in a warm, draft-free area for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and make sure to place your oven rack in the middle position.
- Uncover the bowl with the flour mixture in it, adding the remaining 4 cups organic flour and Himalayan pink salt. Stir until just combined, then place mixture on to a floured flat surface.
- Knead the dough for one minute.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Roll first half to a 12×9-inch rectangle and then roll it up to form a loaf.
- Place the loaf seam side down on baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper.
- Repeat with second half of dough.
- After both pieces of loaves are formed, place a clean dish towel over the loaves and let them rise again in a warm, draft-free area for 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, remove towel, and bake in the oven for 23 minutes until golden brown. You will know your bread is done when you thump it and it sounds hollow.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
We bake a couple batches of bread at a time and freeze all but one loaf.
To freeze our bread:
- Make sure the bread is completely cooled.
- Slice bread loaf
- Wrap bread loaf tightly in BPA free press and seal and then place into BPA free freezer bag, making sure to get all of the air out before placing in the freezer.
We hope that you and your family will love this recipe as much as we do! There is nothing like homemade sprouted organic bread!
Leave us a comment on our Facebook page and let use know how you liked our recipe: www.facebook.com/ourorganichome
To receive our Organic Recipes and Organic Living Tips, sign up for our newsletter: